Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A new year.

Last New Years Eve, Patrick and I walked in the freezing cold and ate sushi at Hama Matsu in Andersonville. Then we traipsed home in the blustery wind and had french martinis and played scrabble until I fell asleep around 10:30 when he carried me to bed. If I remember correctly - the next day, I was headed back to Kansas City and neither of us wanted to particularly face the morning.

This was right before we left his apartment for dinner last year.

This year, I fell asleep even earlier - though in my defense we've both been fighting a horrific cold. Patrick made dinner (delicious spicy burritos) and we watched the snow fall from the windows in our new home. I could feel our son kicking inside me, and I fell asleep in his arms as his wife. [We'll ignore for the moment the fact that he had to go sleep on the couch at about 4 a.m. because he couldn't make me stop snoring. Pregnancy has some rather unattractive symptoms for me - what can I say?] I woke up this morning to the yard dusted with a few inches of gorgeous snow. The cats curled up at my feet, and Patrick sleepily stumbled up the stairs to go back to sleep beside me for a few more hours.

The view of snow covered trees last night from our second floor back deck taken with Patrick's new fancy-pants Nikon D3.

Granted, there was no champagne and fireworks - no glittering party dresses and caviar to ring in the new year. But honestly, this was the best beginning that I could have ever hoped for. I certainly wouldn't have believed that this would be my life a year ago. But I am so thankful that it is... er, minus this ridiculous cold at least.

I'm also very thankful that many of you have followed me here from my previous blogging experience and are able to share this new chapter of my life with me. If you're a lurker, welcome too - I hope you'll feel free to join in and let us get to know you.

Whatever it is you're wishing for this year, I hope you find it. May your homes and lives be blessed with love, laughter, health and good fortune in the coming year.

(Links to our complete photostreams are in the right menu bar)

5 comments:

Jess said...

Oh,A, how beautiful!

Nico said...

Two gorgeous pictures! I hope that 2008 is a fantabulous year for you too.

OvaGirl said...

Hi there A, congratulations (on all fronts) and what beautiful pictures! Here's to a great 2008 for you all.xx

Rick said...

Nice photos, but yuck on eating raw fish.

I'm having a little give-away on my blog my self. No gmicks, just my way of celebrating one year of blogging. Please come over and sign up.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Lala said...

that was a lovely post A.
Lala
http://crosswind.wordyblog.com