Saturday, April 26, 2008

DBT and L&D

Julian was so active last night that it felt like my uterus was going to explode. We'd gone out for TexMex (mediocre at best, as we have no "real" Tex Mex places here) and I guess he was unhappy about the room he had available based on the sheer amount of fajitas and queso in my belly. He was moving so much that it was almost ferociously violent. And the last time I felt him was around 8:30 p.m.

As of 11:45 this morning, I'd only felt him move once. Normally he's very active, and while he's pretty much run out of room inside, it still shocked me that I couldn't feel him move. I ate some cereal and tried laying on my side to count his movements.


I drank some blood orange juice, and laid down again.


I tried to push the panic out of my mind and quell the DBTs (dead baby thoughts).

I waited and waited, and still felt nothing. My voice quavering, I told Patrick that I was really scared.

Patrick took one look at me and said "let's go to the hospital." So... we did. I was put into L&D triage, and they strapped me up to the monitors. The nurse was having a hard time finding his heart beat and I started to panic. Then, after a minute or two, there was the blissful thumpthumpthump that I was so longing to hear. He was active with accelerations and decelerations for the first five minutes or so of the test, and while I was having contractions, they weren't really painful at all. Then he sort of slowed down, and wouldn't move. The nurse had me turn on my side and see if that would help. I still hadn't felt him move by this point, and was starting to feel nervous.

His heartrate eventually went back to a "normal" pattern, and the nurse checked me to see where I was from a dilation standpoint. At a 2.5 or "slightly more" - the wetness I'd been feeling the last few days was just watery discharge, and not leaking amniotic fluid.

He moved twice while I was at the hospital, but that was it.

They sent me for another ultrasound, and the AFI (amniotic fluid index) came back at 12 something - so he's fine there. Based on my last menstrual period, his due date is tomorrow. I am so ready for him to be here.


Vacant Uterus said...

Every time you post, I get anxious. I just keep thinking, shouldn't they have induce you by now? I'm sure you're thinking that too. :-) Good luck, babe. You're doing great.

orodemniades said...

Oy. Little bugger. I hope he arrives sooner rather than later...

Scoutj said...

He must be waiting for something.....

statia said...

This is totally his way of saying he's the boss of you now, and to expect much fucking with until he has kids of his own and apologizes for every last thing he did growing up.

I totally remember having the DBT's up until they ripped him from the cozy confines of his liquid filled home. Totally normal and had it not hurt so much to sit up unassisted, I would have never leaned against anything, because I was afraid I was going to cut off his blood and oxygen supply. Then again, I thought that if I didn't drink enough water, I would totally deplete his amniotic fluid. Obviously, neither happened and I was a giant freak.